Tuesday, January 6, 2009

One of THOSE Moms

Today.

It happened.

Noah and I went to the grocery store to buy food for a local family who is in great need.

We came out.

Noah was put in the car seat, with Yo Gabba Gabba playing along.



He took my keys.

I left the back door open...ajar.

I put the cart in the cart holder.

That's when I heard it.

Honk.

Click.

CLICK?!?! CLICK?!?!?

My brain couldn't process. The door, the door...I left it ajar...so the click of my car doors locking shouldn't be a problem.

Wrong. DEAD WRONG.

The door was shut enough to lock.

Noah. The keys. The locked doors.

I called Mark. I asked a bag boy to run inside and get help...to call the police.

A former student came out and stood with me while we waited for the police.

I was one of THOSE moms. How could it have happened?

In the end, Noah was fine. In fact he laughed and danced in his car seat, waiving the keys around as the police officer, Kaley, and I watched and waited for the master locksmith came. Noah was probably in there a total of 15 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity. Who would have known that the money we invested in one of those car DVD players would entertain my son who had locked himself in the car while I stood helplessly by.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Praise God for DVD players and that Noah was fine. Rest assured that you are not the only one that happens to! And it's not a reflection of your ability as a parent. Until you have kids, you think it is. And then you have them and realize it's not at all! This happened to me once, too. It's frightening, but thankfully kids are so resilient they never miss a beat!

Lisa Smith said...

Ang---I bet you were never so thankful for Yo Gabba Gabba!!! Funny, he was so content and didn't even notice your fretting. You must've appeared really calm and confident that God would intervene like Abraham as he led Isaac to the altar...You are a great mom!!

I enjoyed our time together...your words and your heart spoke volumes to my soul. love you, sweet sister.

Lisa Smith said...

And, hi Julie!!! How are you??

Lisa Smith said...

Hey! I saw Helen tonight!! Hugged her. Hugged her for you. Hugged her for Noah!!!

Anonymous said...

Sis -
You are right had I read your blog sooner I would have been on the phone calling you to check on you and to laugh with you in the end. Now you just know to never let Noah have the keys again and thank goodness it was not the middle of summer. I felt so bad for you while I read this for I know you must have been hurting so badly but he is okay and you are okay.
Sorry this was so stressful for you but in the end it is - as our brother would say - ALL GOOD.

Love ya much and miss you all!! Come on March 12th